Monday, May 11, 2015

I'll Never Forget---And I'll Always Remember!

May 12, 2014---A day I'll never ever forget, the day I lost my hero, my sweet dad. 

I'll never forget the sight of police cars lining the cul-de-sac, ambulance lights flashing in the driveway, the house lined with paramedics, seeing my dad lying on the floor with paramedics working on him.  I remember I asked three distinct questions as this was unfolding,

1-"Is he breathing?"  
2- "Does he have a pulse?"
3- "Will someone please give him a priesthood blessing?"

I'll never forget when Dr. Greenwood gripped my hand and delivered the news that they were unable to revive him.

I'll never forget my moms face as she was given the news

I'll never forget the shock, wave of tears, and the deepest sadness I've ever felt.

I'll never forget the moment I got to see him.  I remember laying on his chest and sobbing.  I remember stating the same phrase out loud over and over while I cried on his chest...."I love you dad!!!!"

I'll never forget seeing my sweet grandparents with my dad after he passed.  I remember my grandma holding his hand and talking to him and telling him he was the perfect son and how much she loved him.   This is just a short list of several moments I will never forget.

In the Book of Mormon there are over 240 instances of the word 'remember' or other forms of the word (such as remembered, remembrance, or forget not)  Why is it important to remember?  Elder Spencer W. Kimball said:  "When you look in the dictionary for the most important word, do you know what it is?  It could be 'remember'.  Because all of us have made covenants and our greatest need is to remember..."

Even though there are SO many things I'll never forget, there are also countless tender mercies and blessings that have poured out that I want to always remember:

I'll always remember the sweet priesthood blessing my mom received as we waited in the ER to hear any updates on my dads condition. 

I'll always remember the peace, comfort, and calming feeling I felt the week of my dads passing.  I felt strength from beyond myself.  Each member of my family felt it.  Such an amazing comfort that comes from the holy ghost and countless angels that must have been there to help us deal and sort through our emotions and feelings.

I'll always remember the countless services provided to our family...from meals, to gifts, books, pictures, calls, messages, texts, tributes, prayers, fasts, monetary donations, etc....

I'll always remember the amazing inspired dream Brecken had the night my dad died that brought so much comfort to our family.

I'll always remember Mother's Day Sunday, the day before he died, what a perfect day it was.  We had a special dinner with all my family there, including my grandparents.  Afterwards, this sweet video was captured:
 
I'll always remember a moment we shared three days prior to his death. We were at Trent's wedding reception and Bridger was getting fussy.  I took him over in the corner of the reception center and was trying to calm him.  My dad noticed this, immediately left the reception line, and came over to help console Bridger.  Not only did he calm Bridger, but he also proceeded to tell me how proud he was of me, how lucky we are to have Bridger in our family, how amazing all my kids are, what a great husband I have,  to keep doing my best, and on and on....he literally shared all those things you'd want to tell your daughter if you knew you were dying.  There is no doubt he was inspired to do this.  Not only do I have this moment etched in my mind---but while this moment was taking place, the photographer just happened to  come by and take a picture as this exchange was taking place, so I have this picture I will always treasure and hole near and dear:
I'll always remember Friday, May 9th. The day Trent and Kenzie were married in the St. George temple.  It was the first time each and every one of my siblings were there together in the temple.  I remember seeing my dad sitting in the witness chair grinning from ear to ear!  It was the happiest I've ever seen him.  I remember seeing tears form in his eyes and run down his cheeks as he witnessed his son, his best buddy,  make covenants and be sealed to his eternal companion.    That day was literally picture perfect!   These pictures from that day are priceless to me... the last time we had family pictures with my dad:
 I'll always remember the love my dad has for everyone!  And the love he has for these sweet grandkids is out of this world!  
There are so so many more countless things I'll always remember...but what tops the charts is this:

I'll always remember the amazing blessing it is to our family that my loving parents were sealed in the St. George temple.  Because of those covenants my parents made in the temple, we are bound together as an eternal family.  We all cling to this knowledge.  
I know I will see my dad again.  Until that day comes, I will never forget him and always remember him!  

I LOVE YOU DAD, ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!!  

-Your Daughter
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment